Monday, January 17, 2011

Benches

Hi!  I'm the B part of Nonni and B.  I thought I'd share with you something The Non made for me.  These benches.......


Actually, she made one.  My husband made the other.  The plans are from the fabulous Ana White of Knock-Off Wood.  We made these shorter than specified in her plans because I wanted them to push all the way under my table.  It seemed simple enough to do...just make it shorter.  But you see the pretty triangular pieces there??  Yeah, if you shorten the length it changes the angle of the boards there.  Meaning you have to do....wait for it.....MATH to get the benches put together and looking pretty.  A responsible blogger would have written down the shorter length and new angle needed to make these things.  In my defense, I wasn't a blogger at the time!  

To finish them, I got a sample of paint in a blue color and mixed it with a glaze.  I put on three or so thin coats.  It isn't terribly blotchy, and you can see the wood grain through it (which is what I was going for).  Then I finished them off with a coat (or two or three) of wipe-on polyurethane.  

And there we have it!!  Now I just need to refinish my dining room table.  It's the same table everyone else in their early 30s has or had until all the chairs broke.  You know the one:  blonde pine rectangle.  No leaf.  Broken....chairs.  (what kind of chairs are those again?)

And PS-neither my mom nor my husband would let me play with the tools and make the bench myself.  *hmph*

No comments:

Post a Comment